November 09, 2006

school excursion



Today was scorching hot. It hit 41 degrees (at least). Luckily me and some of the language mob were joining in with a school excursion to the Wilton River, a nice little swimming spot about 30 mins away.

The excursion was for the transition class - all five year olds. They have excellent local teachers and I brought along 4 language teachers. There was a lot of swimming as well as some language classes (the kids broke up into 4 different language groups and the assistant teachers joined in very well too). Plus one old lady showed the kids how to make a coolamon out of paperbark and their regular teacher made a paperbark raft and floated one of the students on it. We all had lunch, a cup of tea and it was quite a relaxing day and definitely a good way to pass time when it's 41 degreees. Here's a couple of pics. The first one is all the kids and their teachers at the Wilton River crossing. They're laying down like crocodiles. And then there's me with a bunch of them. Awww.

4 comments:

Wamut said...

woops, i lied. the temperature reached 42.3 yesterday.

eep!

Catalin said...

Ok, too cute for words! Thanks for the pics and the reminder of really HOT days. (I'm currently wearing a fleece, a hat, a scarf and silk long johns--in addition to regular clothes of course--and I'm inside my house!)

Wamut said...

Ta for the msg Catalin.

Another temperature update fo y'all. Yesterday hit 43.6!

No wonder I'm not feeling so energetic.

Jhuny said...

43.6? You're not making it sound tempting for me to fly back up to the territory this holidays. Man that's hot. I saw on the news the 'rine got up to 41. And here in Sydney it's back to winter when it should be almost summer here, I've had to pull out my woollens again... What's with the weather these days?

Great pictures, by the way. Love the Alligators!