Skip to main content

wanim na?

Well, I haven't posted for a couple of days and I've had a busy couple of days.

Today, we held a special workshop to try and get this Ngukurr language program working properly. I was a bit stressed about holding a workshop because we don't normally do things on a big scale like this but I didn't have anything to worry about. It went well! We had a bit of funding for it from a federal government 'indigenous women's leadership' program that one of our language workers is a part of. So we had stationary and catering (sandwiches, tea and biscuits :-)) and we used the flash Batchelor adult education building. We had people from each language group there, which was a first, and the support and interest seemed good. All very promising. By the end, everyone said they'd be ready to go to school tomorrow to teach language so fingers crossed and our language program will be happening properly! Now I just wish education department or someone could give us funding to do it properly. A lot of the workshop was videotaped so we can send it to the education department now see they can see how serious we are... pretty cool, huh?

After that, I my brother - or from Rembarrnga, wawa - A and his wife - my Mami - R went to cut warlan. old ladies here cut the bark off it, turn it into ashes, mix it with tobacco and chew it. We also got some freshwater too. The tap water here tastes gross.

And tonight, my dear friend K and her friend are cooking a roast and i'm invited over for dinner! what a treat.

Yesterday was a good day at work too. One of the strongest languages here is called Ritharrngu but we haven't had any Ritharrngua or Wagilak people working at language centre this year. (Wagilak is almost identical). Until yesterday. One middle aged guy, T, who i'd met only once before came up and expressed an interest. Next thing he's at language centre and we'd already prepared this week's Ritharrngu lesson. pretty neat. Only thing though, I think my brain is full and i just can't fathom working on another language. Ritharrngu makes number 7!!! and that's not including Kriol. And the languages here are so bloody different too. It's not like just making a few adjustments.

For example, at language centre, I've grown some pandanus plants and we've put signs there with the language name on it. So we've five different names for pandanus which are: mu-rok (ngalakgan), ma-gun-ga (ngandi), ruwana (alawa), dayarr (rembarrnga) and mugarra (marra).

After that, I did something totally different. As an aside, let me just say that although my job title is linguist, in reality I have to be so many things in this job... lemme think: 4wdriving expert, IT person, video and sound editing guru, a bit of aged care, diplomat and liason person, manager, teacher/trainer and more... oh and i sometimes get to be a linguist too! But yesterday i added another one to the list: logger. haha... not blogger, but logger... as in treecutter and timberman. I went out bush with an old man who wanted to cut some trees to build something. we found a patch of the right kind of tree - lancewood - out came the chainsaw, and next thing me n him are carting around logs and loading up my truck. my poor little truck had logs sitting on it every-which-way but we managed. hard work, i tell you! but at least i can add 'logger' to my list of duties as a linguist.

so i've had a fun and successful couple of days. can you believe it?

Comments

Catalin said…
I wish there was a photo of you wielding the chainsaw. Can you draw a picture for us?

Popular posts from this blog

A conference, language policy and Aboriginal languages in Federal Parliament

The other day, I was priveleged in attending a TESOL symposium about 'Keeping Language Diversity Alive'. One of the speakers, Joseph Lo Bianco was excellent and discussed Language Policy. He gave a handout at one of his sessions that I'm going to type out in full here, because it was a real eye-opener. It's from the Official Hansard of the Federal Parliament from a debate that happened on 10/12/98. Here's how it went: Mr SNOWDON: My question is to the Prime Minister. Is the Prime Minister aware of the decision by the Northern Territory government to phase out bilingual education in Aboriginal schools? Is the Prime Minister also aware that his government funds bilingual education programs in Papua New Guinea and Vietnam? Prime Minister, given that article 26(3) of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights states that parents have a prior right to choose the kind of education that shall be given to their children, will you take a direct approach to the Norther

The pitiful state of Recommendation 11.6 of the NT Fracking (Pepper) Inquiry

Today the NT Government announced that it's ok to start fracking the Beetaloo Basin, claiming that all 135 recommendations from the 2018 Pepper Inquiry report have been met and, therefore, fracking can proceed.  Most of the recommendations - and you can go through them all here:  Action items | Hydraulic Fracturing in the Northern Territory  - are outside my field of expertise as a linguist. There's a lot of regulatory stuff, things about the mining industry, stuff about land and water management that others know much more about than me.  However, as a linguist working in the Katherine Region for 20 years, there is one recommendation that sits in my wheelhouse so, after today's announcement, I wanted to take a look at it. It's Recommendation 11.6, which says: That in collaboration with the Government, Land Councils and AAPA, an independent, third-party designs and implements an information program to ensure that reliable, accessible, trusted and accurate information ab

Subtle features of Aboriginal English that I love: agreeing or confirming by copying

Linguists aren't supposed to play favourites, but I love Aboriginal English. Maybe because it's what the love of my life speaks and separating language from people and society isn't a realistic prospect. I'm lucky to regularly be around Aboriginal people speaking English in all sorts of ways and privileged to have insights into some of the more subtle ways in which Aboriginal ways of using English differ from the suburban white English I grew up speaking.  I want to share some of these more subtle features. Not just because I am fond of them but also because they seem to be features that escape the attention of most academic discussions of Aboriginal English / Aboriginal ways of using English. I'm going to skip over the complexities of what Aboriginal English is (and isn't) and also if/why that label is worth using at all (a chapter I wrote on Aboriginal English(es) dips into some of that discussion - email me if you want a copy). For brevity's sake, let